Friday, November 5, 2010

A Little Rain must Fall

Alot has happened since our last blog.  We were up at 0400 and had Gwen and loren to the airport by 5 am.  We headed back to Kihei and went immediately to Starbucks (ya, I know, what a stretch!)  After a leisurely cup of Joe, we were now awake and looking to have breakfast.  I noticed at the park across the street, it looked like a walk way by the water.  We headed over to Kameole park and found a great water walk that turned out to be about a half mile long.  We ended up at our favorite breakfast cafe, the Kihei Cafe.  They make a great breakfast that is fairly reasonable.

While picking our teeth, we decided to head to a state park named Iao Valley and walk the trails.  We were warned that this is rain forest and it is wet alot of the time.  As we entered the park, the bright sun made for a magnificent view of the peaks and hills surrounding the valley.  we spent a few hours hiking and climbing around.  Lots of pictures and a very nice out of the way wonder.

We headed back to the north end of Sugar Beach and walked along the boardwalk (are seeing a pattern here?)  After walking the boardwalk, we went on the beach and walk all the way back to the car.  It was lunch time and back to another beach for  a picnic.  We headed back to the condo and later walked around by the jetty.  The wind was coming up pretty good and we could see several wind surfers out front.  We were wading in the protected area and as I got near the rocks, the water began to boil!  It scared the crap out of me.  A school of fish were there and I must have scared them off.  My heart was pounding and all I could think of was PIRANHA!  I regrouped and checked my shorts in time to see a couple boarders in trouble.  One was blown way off course and managed to get to the beach south of us.  Lori and I guided a couple of their friends in to where he was.  He was tired but okay.  Another got knocked off his board by the wind and before he could retrieve it, it was gone.  The wind pulled him to shore and we kept an eye on his board as long as we could, but it was gone.  The guy went a mile or so down the beach but to no avail.

Lori talked me into going to an Italian restaurant in Kihei called Antonio's.  She enjoyed her meal so much she talked three couples walking by into having dinner there.  I walked off in disgust! 

We traded text messages with Jeff and Monica (Myers) all afternoon and ended up at their condo for drinks.  We had a good time, but the day was long and we headed back for needed rest.

This morning after breakfast, Lori decides we need to walk to get coffee. A storm has arrived and although dry, we have been blessed with 40 mph winds.  We have a choice...Starbucks #1 is 1.2 miles away and #2 is 2.4.  Monica had talked Lori into believing this would be a nice easy walk and we could make the return trip via the beach. Wow, I thought out loud that this sounded almost as much fun as taking a pair of pliars and pulling my toenails out!  To Loris credit, she listened as I explained my concerns about this trip and after she assimilated all the info, we walked to #2!

OK, not a bad walk so far, but as we get to the first light and shopping center, a Jeep pulls up and the driver starts calling me names.  I look over and it is Bill Larass and his wife.  Bill is a prosecutor and is also here on vacation.  He told me that as they drove past us, he thought it was me and called work to find out it was me on Maui.  We talked a bit and the march continued.  We made it for coffee and sat for awhile.  It was getting to be lunch time and we decided to head back and drive to a place for salads.  Again Lori asked for my input and walked off.  We walked down a back street and saw orange trees, Coconut Palms and various flowers in bloom.  It was nice.  We then headed out on the beach for the final 1.5 mile trek to the Condo.  Problem one arises...we are now walking into a 40 mph headwind in soft sand!  My legs are burning and the sand stings as it flies past us.  I think to my self as I try to keep up with "the guard" Lori.  As time passed, I began to have delusions from the heat and wind. Dehydration was setting in and I soon felt I was on a forced death march, not all that different than the Bataan death march in the Phillipines.  With a determined gait, Lori 'marched' on and was leaving my large profile behind as the wind took it's toll. 

Problem #2 arises.  Sand has made it's way into every part of my body and the damage is quick and decisive.  I have sores on my feet and 'other' areas from sweat and salt air etc.  I am in so much pain, I think of walking into the water and ending the misery.  I am now hearing the song in my head "Edmund Fitzgerald' and especially the parts about the gales of November and then it goes to the part about saying farewell to the crew.  As I contemplate stepping out of line so the guard can put me down, we round the last corner and the most beautiful sight was ahead.  It was our Condo!  I struggled to make it to the door and headed in to get Advil and Neosporin. 

Problem #3.  I grabbed my Advil and as fate would have it, I dropped one on the floor.  I went down and now could not get up.  What does the wife do...certainly not help me, but grabs the camera and starts taking pictures.  God I love her so much.  What would I have done without her...oh, I know, not go for a death march!

I finally got up and we headed to Freds for a taco salad.  As we sat there, the tall one and Monica walk in and join us for lunch.  He tries to tell me they went to Big beach, but some of their sunburns didnt match the clothes they had on.  I suspect they went to a location that allowed for not so many clothes.

After a little shopping, we picked up Gwen and Loren at the airport,  We were filled with tales of their exploits and travels On Oahu.  Seems Loren visited a WWII era submarine that is on display at Pearl Harbor.  Seems he got stuck in a hatch and now the Sub has been 'altered'.   They scrap it later this week.  They were very excited to tell us of their travels and the fun they had.

Dinner and a quiet evening at the Condo.  Bad news today though as we found out the pool is now closed for the remainder of our stay for repairs.  Not what we signed up for, but what are you going to do.  Off to bed.  More from the road soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well thanks for the story.

It was funny when Bill called yesterday. He asked if you were here and told him no and he said well I am in Maui and I could of swore I saw Fretts. DC says "you did"

Anywho Lori keep up the good work! You can't kill him until the latest Sgt. list expires!

matt said...

Just think of the healt benifits from all of the walking, Lori is no dummy! By chance did you just make a life insurance payment????