Thursday, September 24, 2009

A quick Detour to OUr Cabin

Still in the learning stage, I wanted to find a quiet and secluded area to help Lori get more riding time on the new ATV. We had discussed how we have not been to the cabin in such a long time. We loaded the Quad and riding lawn mower in the trailer and headed south for the weekend. Lori had called her folks and invited them down for a later summer get away. Not much argument there and the best part was Frank, their dog got to go too.

Friday night, we vegged and didn't accomplish much. In the morning, we went to breakfast and soon headed back to the beach. Roy and Opal arrived and soon plans for a Costco run were being made. I chose to stay behind and get the lawn mowed. I was able to cut it a little wider as I try to do and everything looked nice again. I unloaded the quad and had it at the ready when the shoppers returned.

Last spring, Shawn told me how a tree had come down and he cut enough to get down the drive. I looked at it and could see alot of firewood in the alder. This would not be a simple task as the tree was still partially suspended on another one and the brush was very heavy. I did not want to be under the tree or close as I went to cut it as I didn't want the tree to snap.

After a couple of hours, I had cut out three smaller trees, and then cut the brush back. Now I could escape if the tree split. Glad I did. As soon as I started to cut, it popped and split. I got out of the way and was able to clear it safely. I sawed the tree into sections, but they were heavy and I needed a way to get them down or at least to a place I could cut them out. Enter the 550 Yamaha. Lori picked up a couple tow straps for me and after a couple quick lessons, Roy was now enjoying the quad and seemed to be at ease with all it had to offer. He would come down the drive, spread the strap and we would load brush on the strap, hook it and off he would go. It worked very well for towing large amounts of brush. Then we were ready for the logs. He backed up to the edge and I hooked the straps to the three lengths. I dropped it in 4wd and started out. It towed without hesitation and now the trees were at the shed and ready to be sawed up. Both Roy and Lori rode the quad for quite some time that afternoon and Roy could be heard weighing options about what he could use one for at home.

We had a very relaxing time and it was great to be back at the beach. We need to spend more time there.

No comments: