Sunday, April 5, 2009

More cabin Repairs

Hello again from the money pit,

We had a free weekend, so knowing the plumbing was busted, we decided to take advantage of the nice weather and again work on the cabin. I now know why dad Fretts hated the beach over time. I seem to always have a list of things to do. Last summer, the septic line went bad from roots. I had to dig and replace. This caused the toilet to have a few problems and with old floors and other sewer related problems. We then had to replace the roof, thanks to Shawn and his friend who supplied the labor. The final item on the list was to paint and finish the inside. We got all this accomplished by September, meaning yet another year of limited enjoyment.

With the hard winter, a tiny mistake in winterizing cost me 8 hours of work this weekend. I forgot to back drain the shower and yep, all the pipes dealing with the shower burst. With every cut, replace and glue job, another section would fail. Just cant win. They are all plastic but and easy to fix unless you are a medium husky type trying to bend just right to get under the house. I paid dearly saturday night with the pipes done with severe cramping in my stomach. Today, we pulled old stuff out that had been collecting and off to the dump it will go.

One thing I found was that due to last years water problem, the seal on the shower drain and toilet now leak. Now I will have to replace floors and drain seals. Not a major set back, but once again I get to miss the sunset while up to my elbows in *&#$.

The final blow to a very nice weather weekend was a serious motorcycle accident right at the corner by the rest area at Megler just past the Astoria bridge. The roadway was closed and we were told it would be hours before reopening. This is not a good sign when they completely close the hiway. My heart drops and although its sad to see a biker go down, you always hope its not someone from out M/C family.

Well, the upcoming week is Easter, birthdays and such. Then its off in the RV to Mount Vernon for the Tulip festival. More on that later.
Be safe

Steve

No comments: