Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Rookies Tale part Duex

Posted: 06/29/08 04:35pm Link | Print | Notify Moderator

Well, here I sit at home after a wonderful weekend and shake down cruise. Thursday was going fine except problems with installers...another forum...another day...and as I was about half packed. got called back to work. Thought, no problem, get off a little early and we can hit the road on our maiden voyage. Worked till o dark 30 and was very tired and about to blow over the installer problem. By the time I got home, my nerves were already shot.

We got on the road and not a word was spoken for almost half an hour! I was so stressed from other things that it reflected in my confidence on this trip. at first. We negotiated the hills south of us on US 101 and I began to settle down as I got used to those sounds and rattles. By the time we hit Astoria, OR, I felt like a grizzled veteran. My wife was talking to me again and we even turned on the radio.

We pulled into the Fort Stevens KOA with our friends the Falls waiting anxiously for our arrival and a fun weekend in our new trailer. OK, were was the advice from this forum about how to reserve a site at a campground...oh ya, I forgot to ask. Ok, I guess when you say 28 feet long they think you mean both truck and trailer. At least we got a quiet spot but away from our friends. Set up went well and within 30 minutes, we were getting diner ready and walked up to their site.

Only problem all weekend was the shower and oh ya the bathroom incident. The shower first. Did you know there is a lip on the door when you enter that you are supposed to step over? That hurt the first time. Oh ya and for the bathroom, lets just say my hint to anyone besides me who were not aware, ALWAYS use the fan! Nuff said...

A little anxiety over dumping the black water today. but we left on time and had a great drive home. Even worked the parking lots for a Latte and later for lunch. Getting pretty good with this stuff. Remember from my first story, the backing nightmare? First try with a slight correction and I was off the road. I even gloated to my neighbor who was disappointed at the non event. Some people. I dont remember who gave me the advice on this forum about placing your hands on the bottom of the steering wheel and turn the way you want the trailer to go, but thanks, it worked great. Thanks for puttin up with my ramblings...I am having fun now!!!

No comments: