Monday, July 6, 2009

Off to the Banana belt for the 4th

Sequim is a unique area in western WA. It is in whats called a rain shadow of the Olympic mountains and does not receive much rain throughout the year. After joining K&M we wanted to get out somewhere and relax for the weekend. After checking the resorts, we felt Diamond Point in Sequim would be just the place.

I got off work an hour early and it only took a few minutes to hook up and get on the road to 'beat the traffic'. As we headed east, the westbound traffic was very heavy and we thought this may have been a great idea to head north. As we rumbled up US 101 through Shelton and then along side Hood Canal, it became apparent that very few were on this road today. We made good time and soon were pulling into Diamond Point RV resort.

The park is layed out kind of different. The center is the entrance drive, you then can take a loop to the right or two roads to the left. We were on the loop and found our spott tucked up against the hillside. It was warm outside, but the afternoon sun was nicely shaded by the trees. A easy back in and set up. I was excited to get the new Winegard carry out set up and grabbed it and soon figured out where south was. I set it up and within minutes, the tv was on and Two and a Half Men were on. Life was now good, Lori was cooking dinner and I could relax and watch TV. A few moments later 'Pop' and we lost all 120 volt power. I had the air conditioner on and forgot to turn it off to use the microwave. We were on a 30 amp box, which should be fine for most appliances, but you have to be carful with the microwave.

I reset it and soon everything was coming back up. What's this, no satellite signal, out to check and reset, I could hear it, but whats wrong? I went in and went through the set up again. Crap, what is all this? The menu's were different, you could not find the zip code entry or even the dish type. When it loaded a few minutes earlier, the system did a software update. They made major changes to the setup menues and added several new options. I didnt care...my show was nearing the end and I had no TV. Panic was setting in as I struggled to keep a clean mouth (kids next door) but with the cost of this new contraption...no, it was not going to beat me, I would win or else...(side note, average time to erect old dish, find north, set and tune in was about ten minutes...we are nearing 45 minutes now and this piece of &^#)* still wont work. I had 18 or so combination's for the receiver to work through due to their timely software download. The instructions (which I left home as it was so easy to set up) told me to choose a two lnb oval dish for the carry out and it would work fine. With the new set up, I didn't have that choice. I had a few 3 lnb choices but none seemed to work. You were also given the option of a single switch or multi. After several combinations, I tried a 3 lnb multi switch 72.5% option and all of the sudden, data started to download. My new carry out unit designed for quick set up only took 1.5 hours...Damn now its bed time...

On the bright side, I unhooked several times and locked up the dome whenever we left and it was 30 seconds to tv time when we got back. How much hardship is one supposed to endure while 'roughing it'!

Its Friday morning and I made Lori watch tv with me for an hour or so...It was not going to beat me...no way...I have a strange twitch in my cheek again... Soon we off and the GPS was locked in on a Coffee place. This would make everything alright and it did. We enjoyed the sun and later found our friends from biking Bill and Barb. They invited us to the family lot for the afternoon. Walt saw the water and just walked straight out and started to swim. He fel better as it was pretty warm out. Bill and Barb followed us to the campground and we enjoyed a wonderful evening of talk, wine and a barbecue followedby a little more wine. We said our good byes and again made Lori stay up and watch tv. I was going to get my moneys worth!

Saturday was a lazy start. I had written in the Montana owners club forum about assisting a neighbor in the park with a hot water issue. Soon a couple wrote to aske where in Sequim we were at. They were in Diamond pont also and soon we were visiting and catching up on our activities since meeting in Oreagon a few weeks ago. Small world.

I called my brother Craig and was able to meet him and his son Jeff for lunch. Craig too followed us back to the RV and again, wine, talk barbecue (are you seeing a pattern) and some more wine. What a great visit and hope to have many more.

Well as I rose early to watch more tv, the reality of our festivities hit hard. My blood sugar went out of whack as expected and it was slow going for an hour or so as I got the levels back down. We putzed around and got all loaded up to head home. A very nice and quiet drive home but was there problems ahead? The westbound traffic headed away from the ocean was incredible. How could so many people pack into that area? I have to make a left across the hiway to get to our house and this may be a problem. As we approached the turn, there was a substantial break like the parting of the red sea! Across, around and a pro style backing job got us off the road quickly. What a great weekend, but not as we had planned. Talked to alot of people and enjoyed life.

No comments: