Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Posted: 06/25/08 03:29pm Link | Quote | Edit | Print | Notify Moderator

(A Rookies story from RV Net)

My wife and I just purchased a new Montana Mountaineer last week (285RLD). They got it all ready and we were off to pick it up. Two sleepless nights of asking myself questions on everything from setup to backing had me pretty stressed. We got to the Dealership and had a wonderful and educational "walk Through" which took about 2.5 hours. They installed a new auto slide 5th wheel hitch put on and it was time to go. Bad thing was, they were so gracious and informative, it was now rush hour in Tacoma, WA traffic. Great, pulled small trailers but never a 5th wheel! We got out and onto the Freeway ok for the 1.5 hour trip home. Traffic was very heavy and I eventually started to gain confidence as the trailer was following great and I was purring along in our 07 Dodge 3/4 ton Diesel. Now the big problem...I needed to get something to eat. Never had to consider where I can and cant go. Ok, Wal Mart would work. We pulled in and hit the sandwich shop and were feeling like pros already. We and two motorhomes occupied the entire back lot except that one truck that parked right where I need to go. Now for backing 101 and again it went well. All that lack of sleep... Made it home the great backing down the driveway extravaganza. Friends and family had gathered to watch and offer backing advice. I even think there was a hot dog vender there. After a few trys, the trailer was parked, set up and we were putting those necessities in like matching plates. Wow, it's really different to have a trailer! Friday we leave for a two night shake down cruise not too far from home. Ya, you guessed it...not alot of sleep trying to remember what needs to be done. Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Thought you might get a laugh and possibly remember your "first Time".

1 comment:

Steve & Lori said...

Well Steve I plan to check your trailer very carefully when youe get to Astoria and will let everyone know how things went. Only because your my closest friend and I know you would do the same thing for me. I'm sure gald we got pull throughs so I don't have to watch you back up again. I don't think I could take it again. See you there.

Loren